Monday, May 23, 2022

I am Living with Long Covid Syndrome



In late February of 2020 Marty and I both came down with the classic symptoms of Covid-19. Although we recovered there were a few symptoms that continued through April of 2021. A lingering cough that could turn into wheezing and a lack of any energy at all led me to finally contact a good friend who does energy work. She recommended some supplements to take, Gecko-A for me and Ashwagandha for Marty. It was only about 10 days of being on them that our energy returned, and the cough/wheezing was also down to a minimum. 

We both were vaccinated in early 2021 and continued to wear masks out in public. We kept up on the medical literature about the virus and its effects on the body. 

In August of 2021 we went to Texas for a well needed vacation. We both were feeling really good about our health, but I came home with the Delta variant. I was sicker than I had been with the original virus. Coughing, lack of taste, fatigue and brain fog were my main symptoms. As the months went on, I began to notice that I had chronic fatigue, a wheezy cough, lightheadedness, a feeling as though I was going to faint when standing up, memory issues (more than my normal from years of Migraine disease). I had no motivation to do much of anything.

I finally had to accept that I was experiencing Long Covid Syndrome. 

At this writing I am still having symptoms. Now I have extreme fatigue coupled with brain fog which means I spend most of my days watching TV. I just zone out. I have also developed PoTS (Postural tachycardia syndrome), which is a condition where the heart rate increases on changing the posture, such as lying to sitting up or standing. This causes dizziness and /or fainting. 

My mood has changed also. I am much moodier, and I overreact to things that normally would not be an issue. My PTSD is back, with times of such anxiety and fear that I have been back in therapy since September of 2021. Things I once enjoyed doing bring no such joy. 

When I first began to research Long Covid, there weren't a lot of information about it. Now though there is ample information online. I found an excellent article by John Hopkins Medicine which shows a link between Covid-19 and PoTS.

 COVID-19 and POTS: Is There a Link? | Johns Hopkins Medicine

"PoTS can be triggered by a variety of conditions, including viral or bacterial infections. Some researchers believe that coronavirus can be a trigger for PoTS, as an increased number of people who recovered from Covid-19 are now experiencing PoTS-like symptoms, such as brain fog, tachycardia (increased heart rate) and severe chronic fatigue."

In an article from the National Library of Medicine in Bethesda, Maryland I found extensive research on Long Covid Syndrome. Here is a table from that article describing each body system and how it is affected by Covid-19 Syndrome. 

Long COVID-19 Syndrome: A Comprehensive Review of Its Effect on Various Organ Systems and Recommendation on Rehabilitation Plans - PMC (nih.gov)


For all of us who are living with Long Covid Syndrome it is so very important for those who are in our sphere to understand that we are not just making this stuff up. It is real, and it is not easy living like this. We need love, understanding, compassion and empathy. We need our physicians to listen to us and not treat us like this is all in our heads. We need them to keep up to date on information about the long-term effects of having Covid-19. 

Another website that may be helpful if you or your loved one is experiencing any of these symptoms is




No comments:

Post a Comment