Thursday, April 8, 2010

Peace Passed On




I was thinking today about my Dad. He was a man of Peace. Always the Peacemaker. He moved through the world in a calm and gentle manner. Now I don't know what he was like in his younger years, because when he and Mother adopted me he was 35, so by the time I really came to know him he was in his 50's, and had a little bit of that wisdom which comes from having lived your first 50 years on this planet.

He had that way about him that if you were around him long enough you talked softer, your attitude calmed and you breathed deeper. He laughed a lot too. He enjoyed his life, his family and his friends. He played the harmonica, the autoharp...and when I would hear him play there was just something that brought immediate peace to my soul.

When Dad spoke, he spoke in gentle words, even if he was angry. I really only saw him angry three times, once when I was an adult and we had gone to an antique show out in the hill country around Austin, Texas. He had parked the car in front of a business (which was closed) on a Sunday afternoon, and when we came back after looking around, the car had been towed. A woman came out of the business and asked us if we had seen the no parking except for patrons of the business sign, and explained that she had called to have the car towed away. Daddy asked her if the business was open on Sunday. She replied no, but still retained the right that no one was to park in front of the business even in off hours. Daddy got angry and raised his voice to the woman. I had not seen him do this ever before, so this was a new experience for me. To make a long story short, Daddy got a ride from another nice man to get his car, came back and we all went home to Austin.

The next day I talked to Mom, she told me that Dad felt so bad about having gotten so angry at the woman that he had gotten up early, gone to the florist and bought flowers, drove all the way back to the small town and hand delivered them to the woman, apologizing to her for his conduct.

This was my Dad...he believed in owning your behavior, and making peace.

As I grew up, grew older, and grew wiser...I also saw and still see the benefits of being a Person of Peace. Really seeing my Dad I believe was a constant motivator pulling me towards the awakening in me to become a Spiritual Peacemaker...and to be a person who believes in the power of Peace...true Peace.

Thanks Dad...for passing the torch of Peace. I have it, and may I pass it on to those who will listen.

Peace is the only way this world can survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment