Monday, July 2, 2012

An Open letter to Harry

Dearest Harry,

You probably wouldn't have remembered me if you had of made it to the 40 year reunion of our high school graduation, but I  had hoped to see you there and thank you for something you did for me in the Spring of 1971. I even had the good intentions of asking some people if they knew what you had been doing in these past 40 years, yet time slipped by with everyone greeting each other and the flood of memories filled the evening, not leaving room in my mind for seeking you out. Then the reunion was over and I was back home, here in Arizona.

Today I received an email from Diane Beall  that you passed from this life to your eternal one last night.

I have spent today thinking about you and the things I remember about a young teenage guy with a beautiful smile and a heart filled with compassion as he walked the halls of Viking Country.

The reason I remember you so vividly is that one fine spring day you came to the office to see Mr. Shiflet (the Dean of Boys). I was Mr. Shiflet's aide for that hour and asked you to wait for him to get out of Mrs. Brougher's office (the Dean of Girls). It was not very long before we both heard the very loud voices of both Deans and my name was mentioned. The heated discussion, which we could hear very easily was about Mrs. Brougher wanting to kick me out of school right then and there, as she had found out that I was pregnant. She was not nice in her choice of words as she described me and what she thought I deserved for getting pregnant.Mr. Shiflet was telling her in no uncertain terms that she was to keep her words and thoughts to herself, that I was not showing yet, and he was standing in my corner, allowing me to finish out my junior year.

I had never heard Mr. Shiflet raise his voice before, and I must have had a frightened look on my face because you said to me, "Don't let her get to you, ever. That's what she wants, for you to feel ashamed and leave school like a whipped puppy. Seems like you have someone pretty important in your corner, so girl, hold your head up high and don't let anyone tell you that are less than good enough." I think I was pretty much speechless, because I do not remember saying anything back to you. I just remember that Mr. Shiflet opened the door, saw you sitting there and said, "Hi Harry, come on in." The both of you went into his office then and as I hurried to get myself out of Mrs. Brougher's line of sight, she did see me and gave me one of her really scary scowls.

As the weeks went on, every time you and I would pass in the hallways, I would smile at you, and  you back at me, as if we had an unspoken form of communication which gave me so much peace. Those moments in time when our eyes would meet, it was as if you gave me some of your own strength to make it through the day. When I think of those moments now, it was as if God had placed you there at the perfect moment in time, so that you could be my 'angel' of peace in a world where unplanned pregnancies were not acceptable, and being pregnant was anything but peaceful. You showed me that God loved me no matter what.

So, from my heart to yours Harry...thank you for being that compassionate young man 41 years ago. Thank you for encouraging me to hold my head high, to not feel shame, and to know that everything would work out all right.

I believe with all my heart that in the last 41 years you continued to be an angel to many people who needed encouraging words or a smile or a hug to help them on their journey through life. Now, you are standing on the other side of the veil...basking in the glory of Heaven.

 Peace eternal Harry, you will be missed here.
Harry, Diane and Rosie at the 30 year reunion 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment