Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Honest, I did Graduate ... Class of '72

This past visit to Austin was very interesting. We had a wonderful time seeing the grand children, and our newest Grandson Logan (who is absolutely the sweetest baby ever!). We were able to see all the family who lives in Austin, which was nice also.

One afternoon I was talking to my oldest daughter about coming back to Austin in June for my 40th High School Reunion. She asked me if it was going to be awkward, to which I answered 'No'. She said that she thought it might be since I never graduated high school. WOW! That blew me away. My own daughter really doesn't know much about me. Oh, she has her own memories, her own opinions of her childhood and early adulthood when we were in constant contact, yet when all is laid out on the table, she really doesn't know who I am or the story of my life. None of my children do, except for my youngest daughter, who knows me like a well read book!


My diploma
 I did graduate with the Class of '72. I walked into the coliseum in downtown Austin with my class, sat down until my name was called and walked across the stage receiving my diploma with everyone else. I still have the actual photo of me being handed my diploma.  What a great day that was. I was very proud of myself for graduating with my class. I did spend my senior year in the 'Special School for Pregnant Girls', but I went every day, and since my baby son, Shan, was born in December, I was allowed to finish out the rest of the school year at that site, where we were allowed to bring our babies, and attend class at the same time.
Getting my diploma




I moved in with my boyfriend in January of 72, when Shan was just a few weeks old. It was a difficult time to live at home with my Mother. She was extremely angry that I had gotten pregnant, something she carried with her until the day she died. Somehow she believed that Shan was my Dad's baby, and that my Dad and I were having an affair. I knew nothing of this until after she died in 1998, so from 1971 thru 1998 I spent many hours trying to 'make up for' ruining her reputation with the people at church and where she worked, and trying to find out why she could not forgive and go on with life. Unfortunately for her, forgiveness was not in her vocabulary, hence carrying this burden to the grave. I wish I had of found out before she died, so that we could have talked about it all. But we didn't, which is sad.
My memorial folder

Anyway, my dearest Kimberly, your Mom did graduate with her class, and I am looking forward to the 40th reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment