Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Proposal's

I am going to skip ahead a bit here and talk about how many times Marty proposed to me. Once was when we were out with friends, at some nightclub in Rochester. His friends from college were there, plus some of our friends from a band we knew. He proposed in front of all of them, and I said "Yes."

When we got home, he said, "You know I am not ready. "I said, "I know."

Months later, toward the end of our paramedic class, we were all out after class, and everyone kept asking him to propose. So he did, in front of them all.

When we got home, he said, "You know I am not ready. "I said, "I know."

Now here, most women would have just said #$@%@% you, and be done, but I just knew that Marty loved me, and I was not ever gonna push him,. IF things worked out fine, if they didn't fine.


In 1999 we had moved back to Owatonna, after a disastrous move to Ottuma, Iowa. And after Joe and Sarah had come to live with us full time, one evening we were getting ready to go out on a date night. I was putting on my makeup in the bathroom, and he came in to see how much longer I Was gonna be. Then he touched my shoulder, as I turned around, Marty was on his knees...with a ring in hand, he asked me to marry him. And once again I said "yes". This time was THE time. He was ready, although he didn't know all he was getting into....baggage galore! A ready made teenage/adolescent family.

When we got home he said, "I am ready." I said, "I know."





No comments:

Post a Comment